Friday, September 01, 2006

Alpha Phi + Sigma Chi

Maybe it's the end of summer, maybe it's my rapidly approaching 30th birthday. Could be my baby sister starting high school or my cousin starting her freshman year at my alma mater in Cedar City but I got a bad case of homesickness this week and all I wanted to do was hang out with someone as familiar as a favorite old sweatshirt.

So I called Derick, one of my oldest and dearest college friends, who happens to now live in Orange County and last night I went to dinner with him and his lovely girlfriend Crystal.


I will fully admit that I was spoiled when it came to fun in college. I joined a sorority at the end of my freshman year and although I know that conjures up all manner of stereotypes, I had a really fantastic Greek experience. Derick was in the fraternity we spent most of our time with and was just about one of the best friends a girl could have. I think the poor guy wins the award for having had to listen to me cry about just about every failed relationship of the last 12 years. He has been a listening ear through school worries, divorcing parents, scary career moves and geographic displacements. Always supportive, always ready with patience and great advice. I feel so blessed that our friendship continues to grow even eight years (gulp!)after we graduated.

And I'm pleased to report that sushi seems to be a very effective cure for homesickness.

No comments: