Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Simplify

Sometimes there is just nothing quite as awesome as a low key evening to yourself. I was working on a five year budget plan presentation all day and it pretty much fried my brain. I really should have gone straight to the gym but by the time my boss and I finished dotting all the i's on the thing it was already 7:00. This little scatterbrain left her workout bag at home this morning and I figured by the time I went home to eat something and change clothes there was little chance I would get back out the door on a chilly Wednesday night.

So instead, I went to the grocery store and bought the ingredients for my favorite meal of all time and came home and cooked to the musical stylings of Dolly Parton, Amos Lee, Jeff Buckley and The Bee Gees. Then I settled in to watch one of the old episodes of Friends I have filled my Tivo with since I discovered that TBS runs them twice a day. And THEN I took a long, hot, nighttime shower and am now happily blogging wrapped up in a blanket and towel on the couch. Anyone who has ever lived with me will tell you that the towel is pretty much my favorite article of clothing. And now with the weather getting cold, I top that off with a big fluffy blankie and I am pretty much the happiest, warmest little creature on the planet right now.

Speaking of things I love, the other night a friend was over and we were playing "do you know this song" with my laptop and his iPhone. He'd never heard of Jeff Buckley, I wrong I was quick to right. I don't want that to happen to any of you. This song is beautiful anyway but Buckley had a voice that is otherworldly.

Last Goodbye

And I'm for one last simple pleasure of the night, my clean white sheets and eight hours of sleep.

12 comments:

Jamie said...

What a perfect evening.

Whits said...

Mike put that song on a mix he made for me for my ride home from Australia (thank goodness the friend I was staying with had a laptop to download the mix onto). I had a whole row to myself and I laid out on it but I couldn't sleep because I was so giddy to talk to him on the phone and see him again. The song was blasting in my ears through my noise cancelling headphones and I just knew my life was going to change. Needless to say, I have a soft spot in my heart for this one.

NatAttack said...

whyyyyy have i not seen you in so long? i need this perfect evening and you in my life.

CoCo said...

I have a cd mix that has monopolized air time right now and there's a Jeff Buckley song on it (Lover, you should've come over). I like to know that even when we are on opposite sides of the country we remain on similar beats. :)

CoCo said...

p.s. the funny part is that as I was reading your blog post, I pictured your 18th Street house and the red door. :(

It wasn't intentional, just the first setting that came to mind.

aaronymous said...

i wish it were chilly here. i am tired of coming home to an apartment that's 78 degrees. i am leaving for school in a sec, and i am wearing a tee shirt, shorts and flip flops, all dressed for the day. i'm probably more jealous of your weather, than you of mine.

Katie said...

Heavenly

turleybenson said...

2 things:
I LOVE that song (and a sad world when one hasn't heard of Jeff Buckley)

Also,
8 hours of sleep. Are you TRYING to make me cry? :)

k8 said...

marissa...i am not even joking, this morning as i woke up at 5:30 to get a drink i was thinking about all of you recent new moms and how horrible the no sleep thing must be.

whit-i love that this song was part of your mike story. someone should make a movie of you guys.

core-i miss my red door house too.

aaron-we only get better weather for like five minutes so i'm enjoying making you feel jealous. call me in january though...

author said...

What a great night. I, too, love hanging out in my towel after a shower. (btw, I was pointed to your blog by kellyim)

Dani said...

I love towels too...except for that since I work from home and am often home alone, sometimes when I get busy on my computer trying to get stuff done, I don't always hold it in place. Welcome to my nudist colony.

k8 said...

dani-one of these days i will get around to posting about how much i love being naked ; )