Monday, May 19, 2008

I had a feeling I belonged

I happened to be driving through a particularly sketchy part of Boston one day last week when an acoustic version of Tracy Chapman's Fast Car came on the radio. This song came out when I was 12 or 13 and I remember getting little chills everytime I heard it on the radio. I still think it's one of the prettiest songs in the world, but something about hearing it while I was driving past housing projects and abandoned buildings made me cry. I have yet to bring this up on the blog because I haven't even sorted out my own feelings but I'm living in a neighborhood that is just really different then anywhere I have ever lived. I'm feeling the differences between haves and have nots in a way that is both good for me and terribly uncomfortable. I will eventually elaborate, I want to make sure that I express it right.

Anyway, I haven't been able to find that acoustic version anywhere online except this streaming version. It's quite pretty.

Fast Car

7 comments:

Wendi said...

That is one of my favorite songs of all times. Her "New Beginnings" album is a keeper too. I think I know where you are going with "sorting your feelings" and I look forward to your post. The slums of Brazil changed my perspective on some aspects of life permanently.

Jimmy- cause said...

Costa Mesa is pretty bad too......You were 13 in 1982?

k8 said...

uh no, i am not that old...i was 12ish in 1988 which is when that song was released. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_Car)

wendi, i will look forward to your comments...and i LOVE new beginnings too. such a great album.

tom said...

are you really just avoiding posting any pictures of you and your bicycle? or do you not have one at all! ah ha!! you've been outed!

CoCo said...

Tom - bike pictures come AFTER car pictures.

carie said...

I am originally from Huntington Beach and mormon too, maybe we know each other?
I lived in Boston for a couple of years too (Allston and Brighton) and loved the diversity you talk of. I love and miss that little big city of Boston so much.

Shawn said...

Nice version of the song, thx.