Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Truth in advertising

My degree is in Advertising and I currently work in Marketing. It's just been part of my brain for the last 12 years to notice commercials. So I'm pretty picky about what I think is good. I don't like advertising that was probably a blast to make but won't mean a thing to the consumer it's trying to reach. I know in the ad world especially, we all want to do something hip and cool, but the marketing side of me knows that hip and cool doesn't always move product. However. The other night I didn't get to the tivo remote in time and happened to catch the new Jaguar commercial.
It's pretty much just a montage that doesn't show the car very often with a soundtrack featuring one of my favorite Spoon songs, I Turn My Camera On. But it is dead sexy. AND, it made me think, hmmmm, Jag? Because although I did get to drive one for a few weeks when I was a nanny while the family car was in the shop, and yes it was quite a lovely ride, Jag to me says "middle-aged-old-money-overtanned-smoker's rasp-007 wannabe-luxury car". I thought Audi had corned the market on fantasy cars for my demographic. And yet, here I was-watching impossibly attractive British men (they don't ever speak, they might not be British, but if I imagine the kind of man that drives a car this hott, he has to have an accent)prance around to a song I'll bet 99% of the people in my office could never identify but spent some serious quality time in my ipod last summer-and I really, really wanted a Jag. A few weeks have gone by and I'm still thinking about that commercial. It's a good thing I don't have an extra $75K laying around...

No comments: