Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Bad Blood

I don't know about you guys but I really hate it when there is a major news story that I don't feel I fully understand. It puts you in the uncomfortable position of having to depend on the gazillions of people on TV/Internet/your life who have the loudest opinions and it can be hard to know who to trust. The financial mess the world is in right now is one of those news stories. So I was pretty delighted this week when I was catching up on This American Life podcasts and came across one called Bad Bank that explains clearly and simply what is going on. Now I feel like maybe I could have an intelligent conversation on the topic and not just parrot whatever I heard watching the news.

You're welcome.

6 comments:

aaronymous said...

i love this american life, i hate this american financial situation.

Zimm said...

I've been spamming everyone with that episode. It's a fantastic explanation of what's going on. I love TAL.

Sylvia said...

Have you listened to the first two shows in the series? "The Giant Pool of Money" is at http://www.thisamericanlife.org/Radio_Episode.aspx?sched=1242, and "Another Frightening Show About the Economy" is at http://www.thisamericanlife.org/Radio_Episode.aspx?sched=1263.

(I LOVE TAL. My mostest favoritest birthday present EVER was two years ago when TAL was in town promoting the new TV series and my roommates got me surprise tickets.)

JC said...

Listened to that one last week and LOVED it. The simple analogy at the beginning makes is so clear.

Katie said...

I listened to it a month or so ago and it was SO awesome.

I have a serious crush on Ira Glass



PS, my word verification is "NOSTRAYS". Nose trays? That's kind of funny, right?

The Andersen Family said...

okay, so I guess it's time to look this up. Your the second person I have heard from that says this is wonderful info. Susie put it on a post-it for me and said"Go to this and Listen!" I'm with you, I hate feeling like an idiot about it, even worse is to think I understand and then realize, yup, notsomuch!