Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Trains to Brazil

For those of you that really think a "job with travel" sounds sexy, I present

48 hours in Denver

8:30 a.m. Leave my house in HB
9:25 a.m. Finally find a parking space at John Wayne Airport
10:00 a.m. Give up on quest to find something healthy for breakfast and buy almonds/trail mix/water and a trashy celebrity gossip rag at the airport gift shop
10:25 a.m. Buckle my seat belt on the airplane. Check my emails, message from my boss saying he doesn't like new ad campaign execution. Will have to wait until I get to my hotel.
1:30 p.m. Mountain Standard Time Arrive in Denver, I have lost an hour but still think I can make a 4:00 p.m. meeting in downtown Denver.
2:00 p.m. Electrical issue with gate delays deboarding of plane
2:30 p.m. Still waiting for my bag. Who checks a bag for a two day trip you ask? Someone who couldn't get her slightly oversized overnight bag past the eagle-eye at the gate in Orange County.
2:45 p.m. Yup. Still waiting. Conveyor belt jam. Try to get some work done on my Blackberry. Feel like a huge tool because I am working on my Blackberry.
3:00 p.m. On the shuttle to the rental car counter. Fortunately my sister has a funny story about a dumb boy so I am laughing at her instead of stressing about the fact that there is no way in hell I am going to make my 4:00 meeting. Also, still have not been able to look at ad execution.
3:15 p.m. Rental car fiasco. I get assigned a car that doesn't exist. Dollar Rental Car woman is really annoyed that she has to fix my problem.
3:30 p.m. Call to reschedule meeting for next day thereby negating my need to be here today. Awesome.
4:15 p.m. Arrive at hotel. Annoyance at three hour lag time from landing to hotel arrival eased by those delicious cookies you get upon check-in at Doubletree Hotels.
4:30 p.m. Finally looking at ad execution. Long conversation with my boss about changes. Long argument with agency about changes.
6:00 p.m. I forgot to eat and have only had eight ounces of water today. Could be the reason my head feels like it's about to explode.
6:30 p.m. Realize I am in staying in suburban strip mall wasteland. Eat a burrito at Chipotle. It's actually really good.
7:15 p.m. Start on work that didn't get done while I was doing nothing at the Denver International Aiport. Decide to get over the fear of looking like a tool with a Blackberry. There is a reason I have one.
8:30 p.m. Feeling like a disgusting blob so change into workout clothes and head to local rec center. Run on treadmill for 45 minutes.
9:30 p.m. Take advantage of hotel hot water and take looooong shower.
10:30 p.m. Finish up with work emails. Play on internet for awhile.
11:30 p.m. Get into bed
Midnight Finally turn off television.
1:00 a.m. Still staring at ceiling.
3:15 a.m. Wake up for a drink of water
6:00 a.m. Wake up for another drink
8:00 a.m. Wake up because boss is calling
8:15 a.m. Look at ad campaign AGAIN!
10:30 a.m. Take a break from emails to take a shower
11:30 a.m. Leave hotel to get ready for Lady Foot Locker presentation
12:30 p.m. Run to Best Buy for prizes for LFL managers. Get a message from boss that CEO hates ad campaign. The whole thing. We are scrapping all work to this point. Panic.
12:50 p.m. Make copies at Kinko's
1:30 p.m. Arrive at Westminster Mall for presentation
2:00 p.m. Finish presentation
3:00 p.m. Back at hotel, talk to boss about ad campaign. Freak out a little. Finally calm down and get back to emails.
4:30 p.m. Head to meeting in downtown Denver, call coworker to discuss ad campaign. Cry just a little bit.
6:00 p.m. Finish meeting.
6:30 p.m. Find sushi restaurant, sit at sushi bar, order too much and feel sheepish when i only eat half.
8:00 p.m. Get back to hotel. Write email to old boss asking for advice on ad campaign situation. Talk to little brother on the telephone
9:30 p.m. realize my flight is really early and should probably stop playing on the computer and go to bed.

No comments: