Friday, March 17, 2006

I Wanna Be Your Lover

alright, i'm too lazy to download photos tonight but i am NOT too lazy to find the "Top Five Artists in My iTunes That Might Make You Judge Me But I Don't Care"

1. Whitney Houston
"It's not right, but it's OK" I can't even begin to tell you how many five milers have been salvaged by repeating this song over and over and over. "Pack your bags, up and leave, don't you dare come running back to me!!" Such power! Such anger! Look, no one has ever cheated on me, I've never confronted someone with a mysterious credit card receipt, I've never kicked a man out of the house. But there is something about this song that sorta makes me wish I had.

2. Jennifer Lopez and Ja Rule
I'm going to guess that I have some sort of unconscious association to a good time in my life and that's why I like the song "I'm Real" so much. This thing is like five years old and features two very marginally talented people but I can't stop putting it on mixes. 'Hard lovin', straight thuggin'-what is wrong with me?

3. Natasha Bedingfield
Yeah I don't care what you think. I am addicted to the song "These Words". You simply can't contain your joy if you sing along. I dare you...I love you I love you I love you I love you!!! When this comes on my iPod I always end up giggling and there's nothing I like more than when my iPod and I have a secret.

4. Tony! Toni! Tone!
Oh dear. Well we did call some brothers I know Slim Shaney and Toby! Tobi! Tobe! all summer once upon a time but that is no excuse for the fact that I actually paid money to own "It Never Rains in Southern California". I'll still try to defend myself and say that the day my company president announced that our Boston office was closing and most of us would probably have to move to Irvine, I came home, downloaded this song, and proceeded to listen to it everytime I was out in the blistering cold that is Boston in February. I didn't move for another year but it wasn't because the brothers Tony weren't singing blessed hope into my ears at every turn.

5. Mariah Carey
Oh now this is just going to ruin me. I have four-count them-FOUR, mariah carey songs in my possession. One is on my workout mix which I feel like can justify pretty much anything with a good beat or lyrics you can use as a mantra when you are ready to pass out. So that's one. But the others....well at least I'm not trying to say "hero" is a really good song. I have two songs and a remix from last summer's "The Emancipation of Mimi". My friend Corey and I have been justifying our intense love for both of these tracks by saying they are by "mimi" instead of "mariah". I will argue that "We Belong Together" is a really good R & B song and if Mary J. Blige had recorded it instead of Mariah, you might take it more seriously. It's moody and sad and there is genuine emotion in her vocals. I feel like I owe a certain amount of respect to an artist who has managed to stay relevant in a genre dominated by teenagers and flavors of the week.

No comments: