Monday, April 12, 2010

Roots

I've spent more time than usual hunting for new music lately. Several of my favorite artists are releasing albums this year and if the near daily alerts I get from Red Rocks amphitheater are any indication, I will spend a fair amount of both time and money this summer enjoying fabulous shows with new friends.

These are a few things I'd love to pass along...

Last Memorial Day weekend my friend Traci came up from New York to play with me. The National was playing at the House of Blues that weekend but it was sold out and we spent two useless days emailing everyone on Craigslist trying to get tickets. Saturday night came and we figured we'd just give up and watch a movie. Then Traci got a flame in her little eyes and said, "no way, we are getting dressed up, we are going to the venue, and we are freaking getting into this show." I looked for parking and Traci got us tickets and the show was every little bit as awesome as we were hoping. The National has a new album coming out in May and this clip from the Jimmy Fallon show has me so excited about it the hairs on the back of my neck have been on end pretty much since I heard it. It gets better the more you repeat repeat repeat.


Once upon a time I clicked on a music blog my friend Dainon had linked from his blog. It was called You are Fuel, I am Friends and I was instantly hooked. The writing was smart and the author had pretty fantastic taste. She also had a soft spot for the Counting Crows so I knew she was probably awesome. Flash forward about a year and a half and I was moving to Colorado Springs where it just so happened this charming blogger LIVES. Dainon introduced us and she has become one of the best parts of my new home. Now we talk about boys and jobs over pizza but man, that girl nails it everytime when it comes to music. Somehow I missed The Handsome Furs when she first posted about them but now I am pretty much in love.

This is the song she references in the post.



I think this song has showed up in more Facebook status updates than just about anything else lately. The lead singer of Sigur Ros is releasing his first solo album and it's, well, solidly awesome. YouTube has disabled embedding on Go Do by Jonsi, but really, Go Do. It feels like spring to me. New and fresh and full of promises.

So glad Spring is here.

2 comments:

H. Brown said...

i wish the guy in the handsome furs video was busting down those trails on a bike, but other than that, i'm totally hooked. i've been meaning to check them out since i saw SOMEONE suggest them on your facebook page, and now i think i'm going to add it to my playlist called "reset buttons" :).

heather said...

yay! hi! yay! :)