Thursday, January 29, 2009

Open Boxes

So if you have never used Pandora Radiothen I feel bad for you. It's a fantastic music website that lets you type in an artist you love and then it creates a radio station full of like sounding tunes. Nearly everytime I stream a Pandora station I walk away with some new treasure.

Yesterday I was doing that "25 Random Facts About Myself" that is going around the Facebook world and one of my facts was that I have Hall and Oates in my iPod right now and not in an ironic way. I genuinely like them. So today I decided-hmmm, I wonder what Pandora would give me on a Hall and Oates station...

A whole lotta awesome is what! Huey Lewis and the News! My favorite MJ tune "rock with you"! Steve Perry of Journey!! that I Ain't Missing You song whose artist I didn't know until today! Such a gentle walk down elementary school lane while I do my expense reports.

The highlight though was "In Too Deep" by Genesis. Many of you know that I have quite a healthy love for Phil Collins due mostly to his charming appearance on This American Life last year. But I had forgotten how much I love this song. The line "it seems I've spent too long only thinking about myself, now I want to spend my life just caring about someone else" has always been a favorite. Because yeah, that sounds pretty nice eh?

Sadly Phil seems to have nixed the video for this off of YouTube which is a shame. I admonish you to do yourself a favor and just buy it off iTunes. It's a dollar you guys.

14 comments:

Tannertrue said...

I think I got that beat. I did Hall & Oates Radio got Journey's "Who's Crying Now", then "What a Fool Believes" by The Doobie Brothers (One of my favorite songs of all time.), then Naked Eyes' "Promises, Promises" then MJ's "PYT", Then Back to Haulin' Oats with "Everytime You Go Away" SUCK ON THAT PAUL YOUNG!

M.S. said...

I have been told about this site 100 times. I think your link helped me FINALLY go there. I'm sold! Love it!

Crystalbell said...

Seriously we have the same music loves and memories. It's creepy/scary/cool all at once. Although I think I'm more in to PYT than Rock with You.

Tannertrue said...

And the hits just keep coming! After a brief misstep with "That's the way love goes" by Janet they got right back in line with "Separate Ways" by Journey, then "How much I love you" by Ambrosia and then... wait for it. "Higher Love" by St. Steven of Winwood!

k8 said...

tanner i am totally listening right now and I'm getting the Eagles, more genesis and THEN i got Easy Lover which totally made my night. or my week even.

Sylvia said...

You should check out imeem.com. It's like Pandora, except it actually lets you listen to the song you specify, and then it builds a playlist around that song.

And This American Life is my all-time favorite NPR show. I remember the love song episode - great stuff!

Katie said...

I just re-listened to the Phil's episode of This American life and I'm really digging him.

The ear doctor rolls his eyes everymorning when I start crooning, "she's an easy lover, she'll get a hold on your believe it"

littlemikemack said...

Excellent, thanks for sharing

kentandnellie said...

Agreed. Pandora is the best thing that has happened to aid in the search for great music. I listen to it all day long at work. And Genesis, love them. My favorite, "Follow you, follow me". So good!

Megan said...

Oh Katie, now I know for sure that we are friends. I've been singing along with Huey in my mind all day.

Jen said...

I love Pandora! Used it all the time on mat. leave....Bennett's fave is Raffi Radio and Jack Johnson...Pandora is how I discovered Adele last year!

Kelly said...

1) I heart Pandora and listen to it at work pretty much all day. Currently I have a Killers/Magnetic Fields/White Stripes station going. It's awesome.

2) I am totally trying a Hall and Oates station.

3) Wasn't that the best This American Life ever?

Paul said...

Oh man, one of my favorite Phil Collins music moments is when he matched up with another of my favorite 80's musical geniuses, Howard Jones on "No One Is To Blame"

http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/search/blame/video/x20cbg_howard-jones-no-one-is-to-blame_music

Sorry for the DM link, YouTube didn't have an original version anywhere.

{jane} said...

wow, pandora sounds aweomse, I will definitely be checking it out!