Saturday, March 29, 2008

Wrong

Some random thoughts on a can't get to sleep saturday night...

-It's hard to beat the combination of a really good run, a little bit of weight lifting and half an hour laying in the sauna.

-I love people who know how to leave a great voicemail message. My friend Bev is an expert. She left me a message the other night about her feelings toward the Massachusetts DMV that had me laughing out loud and totally missing having her around. People say technology makes our communication impersonal but I feel like it opens up all sorts of new options. There is something quite wonderful about being able to listen to a particularly good message so many times you have it memorized.

-I was putting together a shelving unit today that I bought six years ago as a temporary solution to a tiny bedroom that has somehow now managed to travel back and forth across the country three times. I found a sticker stuck to the back of it for a long defunct website some boys I know wrote that made me smile. Way way before everyone on planet earth had a blog, and even slightly before Friendster started the social networking frenzy, these guys were writing journal type entries about music and movies and girls and etc. I called one of them so someone could share my fond memory and got this gem of a quote; me: "so what are you up to?" him: "well i am just getting up from an entire afternoon on my bed. My back kind of hurts." It's too bad the website didn't last.

-My friend Chloe sent me a great care package today that included three mix CD's. I know I'm a broken record but I really, really love music. There is a lot of stuff on these discs that I don't know and then some that I'm enjoying hearing differently. That might be my favorite thing about a mix-getting a song you already know in a new context. She put "The Promise" by Tracy Chapman on one them which is a song I have probably listened to one million times over the years. It got a little overplayed there for a bit but wow, it's just so beautiful and tender and comforting. Tracy Chapman probably has a higher percentage of songs that make me cry actual tears than any other artist I know. Even her old "Fast Car" can still get me going if it hit just right. Anyway, these CD's are a treat and made a great soundtrack tonight while I unpacked one of my last remaining boxes and packed for my swedish adventure. What a thoughtful friend.

-I watched quite a bit of 30 Rock on DVD this week since there is nothing on real TV. The more I watch that show the more I think I'm OK with everyone saying I remind them of Liz Lemon.

-This move has reminded me what an introvert I am by nature. I've been going nuts trying to figure out why on earth I am so worn out lately and it finally occurred to me that being new everywhere and trying so hard to be impressive at work and get out of my little comfort zone socially has juat about done me in. I think I'm a bit of an oddball because I genuinely enjoy making friends and talking and getting attention but I have to work pretty hard not to be nervous around new people and situations. My natural tendency is to stick to the walls.

-I think my nightowlishness is getting worse. I finally fell asleep at 4 last night but I think I could have stayed up even longer. It's 2 right now and I just don't want to go to bed. And then six hours from now I'll want to throw my alarm across the room. The schedule of the world is not kind to the night owl.

-I hate the ending of "Pretty in Pink". Andie really should have ended up with Duckie. Blaine was a complete tool.

-Boston is a beautiful city. It was freezing but clear today so while I opted to do my run inside, I grabbed dinner at a little place on Newbury Street so I could get out in the city a little bit. This place is adorable.

8 comments:

Cindy Bean said...

She probably didn't even deserve Duckie either.

k8 said...

this is true. after "try a little tenderness" it really should have been clear that he was the better choice. if she was too dumb to see that i guess she deserved Blane and his terrible kissing.

Cindy Bean said...

No kidding. Plus, his hair looked like a wig.

Kelly said...

Liz Lemon rocks.

Blaine was a complete tool. Let's hear it for Duckie. Or Jake Ryan, if we're going to go with the John Hughes high school movie boys. I still think he is totally hot.

f*bomb. said...

Not to mention an awkward kisser...Blaine.
In the original, she DOES end up with Duckie- apparently it's on the new dvd extras.
Jake Ryan- sigh. Still- he's pretty much devoid of personality, except that he'd date a flat-chested outcast over a cheerleader.

f*bomb. said...

ps-
If it makes you feel any better, I stayed up unnecessarily until 2:30am watching "Save the Last Dance" on tv Saturday night. Sunday's lesson was on time management, and I fear I failed MISERABLY.

goodfoodgirl said...

i have been receipt of said voicemailer and i too give her high marks. i love how it always sounds like you are picking up in the middle of a conversation...

Mary said...

It is crazy to think that you are an introvert, the KT I normally see is the super confident, can flirt with any man on the planet girl I admire.