Monday, August 24, 2009

A mile high

They say the definition of insanity is to keep doing the same thing over and over expecting different results. If that is true then I have probably been going slowly insane for the last seven years. My life has been a somewhat predictable cycle of "take a marketing job, pack things, move to a coast, talk about shoes all day." And not just move to a coast-move within five miles of where you lived the last time that city was home.

Quite frankly, I don't feel insane. But I think maybe the universe wants to just make sure. Three weeks ago a dear friend from a past work life called to ask if I was interested in looking at a job description she thought I would really enjoy. I am never one to say "no thank you, I'd rather not explore that opportunity," so I said sure. Flash forward a few weeks and folks, this girl is switching career gears and moving to Colorado Springs.

That's right-not Huntington Beach, not Boston. And it's not footwear. You know I'm going to be cagey about exactly where I'm going-I keep myself pretty accessible online but I do like to maintain a semblance of professional distance. But here are some hints: I'll be spending winter of 2010 in Vancouver, summer of 2012 in London, winter of 2014 in Russia and summer of 2016 in city yet to be announced. And I'm pretty sure I'll be able to verify that famous wingspan on Michael Phelps in the near future...

It's an absolute dream job that will have me working my TAIL off. As you can imagine I have much more to say about all of this but for now, I'm walking around feeling like this all day...

24 comments:

NatAttack said...

Whoever said love and hate are only separated by a thin line have clearly never met my friends elation and despair.

turleybenson said...

WHAT THE HELL KATIE?? (and congratulations!)

corinne said...

holy amazing! they are lucky to have you. congratulations x 1, 000, 000! (and may i just say... JEALOUS!!!!) London? Russia? You have got to be kidding me! wowsa. congrats again.

Dani said...

Oh, I'm so happy for you! This is wonderful, wonderful news!

Dani said...

p.s. That's not the definition of insanity--that's the definition of ADHD. But perhaps they are the same. Some days it feels like it...like today...when I want to karate kick every pane of glass in my presence.

The Andersen Family said...

Wow. A little sad whenever somebody leaves beantown...but WOW!

Katie Elaine said...

congratulations!! I'm so excited for you and can't wait to hear more about your experiences.

littlemikemack said...

Congratulations.....sounds incredible !

Kelly said...

Oh my gosh! That sounds so incredibly exciting! Congratulations!!!

(I LOVE that song)

cay said...

Do you need an assistant? I speak Canadian and English and a little Russian...

lilcis said...

Wow, you really are my hero! Congratulations! I'm so happy for you!

Kersten said...

Here to add my official congratulations. So exciting!

(Although I'm wondering when you'll get that next great job that will just *happen* to be in SLC...!)

MrsEm said...

CONGRATS!

Dainon. said...

If you're interested in new girlfriends in the area, one of my favorite people lives there. You two might just get along ... maybe? Lemme know.

Senja said...

congrats! :) does everybody here know what company you are "talking" about? me - no clue. must be the european in me?

Linda said...

I'm so excited for you! I know you said how amazing it was to work for the Olympics in SLC. I'll need to visit you in one of the many exotic places you'll be the next few years. And, I love Colorado (served my mission there). I think you'll be surprised by it's beauty.

Senja said...

duh! :) thanks to linda i finally get it..

that's really awesome though!

Katie said...

YOU WILL LOVE COLORADO!!!!!!!!

And the Srings is GORGEOUS!I can't wait for you to get here. Let's go for lunch or a hike or something!

Katie said...

Duh, I meant the SPRINGS not the SRINGS...

I'm a terrible typer...

{jane} said...

wow! i get behind on two posts on your blog and i miss BIG news! how exciting - congrats - i can't wait to hear more!

jaredean said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jaredean said...

my cell phone ringtone for Lissette is "fresh feeling" - one of the greatest, happiest songs ever...can't say the same for the video...it isn't that great - but not many are as great as this one:

Link text

miche said...

Katie,
I'm catching up on blog reading and just read this one... holy cow! You're moving again!? Well, it might be a long time before we meet again in Boston. We are actually planning a move before the end of the year to Albuquerque! Maybe we can meet somewhere west of freaking Boston this time!!!

Congratulations on the new job, and best of luck with the move (have you already moved and I haven't caught that line yet?) BEST!!!

jaredean said...

Go Rockies!!! You will be very close to my brothers so i shall see you more often! And now you can root for a team and not worry that 3/4's of the freaking nation bow's down to them daily - most of them bandwagon fans, many not...

jared