Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Oops, I did it again!

Say hello to my new best friend.

What is that you ask? That, dear readers, is the entrance to the running trail that stretches from Long Beach to Newport that I will be taking almost every single day of my life for the next six months. Throwing caution and things like friday night plans and time off on the weeknights to the wind, I signed up for my second marathon. Blame goes to Corey who planted the idea when we were in Puerto Rico
She and her mom and future sister-in-law decided to make a girl's weekend out of the Nike Women's Marathon in San Francisco in October. It just so happens that said marathon is one week after MY somewhat scary 30th birthday. So I egged on Betsy
who had the audacity to not only say yes but actually register and all of the sudden, I've got a confirmation email in my inbox and a training log mocking me with it's weeks and weeks of unblinking mileage.

All joking aside, I'm actually pretty excited about it. I got injured right before my first marathon and didn't finish it like I had hoped so this will be a chance to redeem myself there. But the really important part, aside from having a great weekend with people I adore in a city I L-O-V-E is that I get to start my 30's on a strong and powerful note. Marathon training not only whips your body into killer shape (and hello, that will be nice for So Cal beach season!) but it does a number on your brain as well. I give my last marathon alot of credit for pulling me out of one of the toughest phases of my life and I'm pretty excited to see where this one will take me.

p.s. Tiffany necklaces for all finishers *might* have something to do with the decision as well....

8 comments:

Betsy said...

Can you even imagine how effing hot we're going to be come October?

Kelly said...

Good luck!

And let's here it for Libras turning 30 this year!

k8 said...

all the really cool kids are turning 30 this year (read: my graduating class!)

how hot are we going to be bets? i recommend the SF pit crew bring hoses.

Tatanka said...

So you're coming to San Francisco? Hurray!!!!!!!

k8 said...

yes! it's going to be a pretty awesome weekend! bets and i will need plenty of moral support! and a big spaghetti party the night before!

Tatanka said...

Robyn is thinking about running this Marathon but can't convince herself that she doesn't hate Nike. Do you think they make any moneys sponsoring Marathons? Maybe if she thought she was actually causing them lose money by running she'd do it.

k8 said...

events don't make money. plus this one goes to benefit team in training. she should totally do it.

CoCo said...

it's sick how 26.2 miles brings so much clarity and liberation in life. Train on!