Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Elevation

So I just moved to a city that is consistently ranked as one of the fittest in the country. Outside Magazine actually called it the best place to live in America this year.

I also happened to work on a complex where at any given time, a few hundred athletes are busily training for various competitions.

The two are conspiring to remind me that my workout habits during my Boston years were dismal at best. I vaguely remember a time when it was normal to go for a run and then hit up Taco Tuesday with a bunch of other sweaty people but...maybe that was just a dream?

The good news is that my new city and my new job are also generously offering ways to get me back on track. One fairly enormous job perk is that we all have access to the facilities at the Training Center. So last night I changed in my office and walked a whopping 100 yards to the weight room. Let me tell you that your motivation to keep running goes through the roof when you realize the guy next to you could very well be training for London in 2012. I fought through some lingering effects of seven years of living at sea level and left a 45 minute run later feeling like, well, some kind of Olympian. Must be in the air.

Then tonight I met up with some friends at a bar downtown that hosts a weekly 5K. They do it every Tuesday and afterwards everyone comes back for a spaghetti dinner. Every Tuesday! And it was PACKED! And there were so many good looking boys! You really can't go two blocks in this town without seeing some cute guy in spandex.

Colorado Springs, if you intend to rescue me from the chains of the DVR, I think you are onto something.

8 comments:

melenglund said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
melenglund said...

Are you sure this isn't a SIM reality?

It's too perfect.

Carly said...

Wow, maybe we should all move to Colorado... I'll take one Olympian please!

I really need to get back in shape myself, but the DVR definitely has a hold on me! Way to break the cycle!

kentandnellie said...

Colorado sounds wonderful! Maybe that's where Kent and I need to go to get back in shape...

CoCo said...

Consider my flight booked!

Jen said...

Sounds awesome, although I don't know how well "cute boy" and spandex go together...

goodfoodgirl said...

I think I was fitter when I lived there than any part of my life! My favorite was running through the Garden of the Gods... I mean, seriously, people!! Thing is, my memories do include an awful lot of bars... time of my life, I guess...I wonder if they're still there!

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to hear about your job and Colorado Springs and all that. Give me a couple weeks and we'll meet up - for sure!