Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Prep

Five years ago I threw myself a 30th birthday party. The boy I REALLY REALLY liked at the time came and brought his married cousin and the poor guy ended up spending the whole party in the kitchen talking to my mother (who flew to Huntington Beach just to make crepes for my friends) while the rest of us demonstrated exactly why we were NOT married all night.

All that run on sentence is to say that although absolutely nothing happened with that boy, the married cousin in question turned out to be a crazy talented musician that my entire family now adores.  He and a whole bunch of other crazy talented musicians from several Utah based bands have a side project called The Lower Lights where they do great folksy covers of old hymns.

They just put out a Christmas album and it's pushed me right over the edge of my Christmas music rule. Packing for my Thanksgiving trip counts right?

My friend had this little "making of" video up on his Facebook wall and if watching it doesn't make you wish you had an ounce of musical talent and could join this revival, you are probably a swamp monster with no soul.


The Lower Lights: Come Let Us Adore Him from The Lower Lights on Vimeo.


(I was going to say that my friend is the one with the beard but...man, there are a lot of beards in that band.)

1 comment:

Dainon. said...

We seem to cross paths with the things we like plenty, don't we? How's this for eerie then? I am currently listening to their album, as it arrived in the mail yesterday. It's obviously fantastic.

Fun line of copy comes after the "Unauthorized reproduction is strictly prohibited" line on its backside, too, which reads "After all, he sees you when you're sleeping, when you're awake, and when you're burning CDs."