Wednesday, April 25, 2007

She

I also think that if you've read this blog much it goes without saying that I am a huge music nerd. And maybe just a little bit passionate about stuff I like.

My friend Ashley made me a mixtape years ago, back before even kindergartners knew how to burn a CD, and there was a song that practically leapt out of the stereo at me. But do you remember how bad the quality on a taped tape was? It eventually wore out and Ashley didn't have the original anymore. Since I am also a huge internet nerd I figured I could find it online but repeated searches yielded nothing. Then one night in Boston I was lamenting the loss of my little treasure. About half an hour later, my goddess of a roommate, Linda, had googled out a used copy somewhere and I snatched it up.

I don't like cheesy love songs. I don't like hyperbolic lyrics. But something simple and genuine can really knock the wind out of me. So tonight I give you "She", by Hummingfish. These lyrics pretty much sum up what I hope to feel about someone someday and what I hope he feels in return.

You've been in love maybe two times
They never chained you; didn't touch you deep inside
They seemed to need from you too soon
You became a planet with an unwanted moon
Her visage didn't smite you in the eye
Like lightning striking from the sky
But she looked right at you, and smiled and asked your name
You couldn't know that your heart would never be the same

She is not what you expected
You thought you were garrisoned
You had all your sides well-protected
She is more than she seemed; asks more than a dream
Nothing less than everything
She gives you more than you knew you wanted
Now what you're wanting you never, ever had before
Real, true, imperfect love
Real, true, imperfect love

Funny how life becomes so complicated
It's easy to argue; she is opinionated
So are you
But simple things can bring you back
When you're riding on the wrong track
She takes your hand, gives it a squeeze
A small white flag blowing in the breeze
You make some dinner and laugh at little things
The sun sets gently on today
Your soul is singing

She is not what you expected
You thought you were garrisoned
You had all your sides well-protected
She is more than she seemed; asks more than a dream
Nothing less than everything
She gives you more than you knew you wanted
Now what you're wanting you never, ever had before
Real, true, imperfect love
Real, true, imperfect love
Love

*sigh*

7 comments:

cropstar said...

i about fell over when i saw that you'd included "she" on the replikate soundtrack that came in your blog birthday package! (the thank you email for which i have yet to write... forthcoming) i've loved that song since i first heard it 1997. in fact i once listened to that song on repeat for an entire road trip from logan to jackson hole. so good.

f*bomb. said...

Nothing says love like a mix tape.

And that you found this song on "Spock with a Beard" is killing me! Tiny, tiny world...

k8 said...

cropstar!! it is totally fate that you ended up on my blog! it's seriously such a good song...so glad it found a good home!

Aimee said...

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!! I have been looking for "She" forever. Four years, to be exact. I lost my CD and couldn't find the song online. Hummingfish used to come to my college and play. The song brings back floods of memories. Now I want to play it for my fiance. Thanks again!

Unknown said...

The song you mention is SHE by DEB TALAN, easily found, plays regularly on last fm, and you should all look at all her albums, great songwriter...

[ a.] said...

Crap... I think I'm in love with the person who filled in your profile and posted the lyrics to this song four years ago.

k8 said...

well, then i guess you are in love with me since i filled out my profile and i posted these lyrics : )