Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Tony Award

I'd like to take you on a little tour of the random ways a person can end up downloading a small fortune from iTunes in an astonishingly short period of time.

Last night I was watching "It's Complicated" while I worked on a few projects and wound down from my weekend. The movie was pretty good but the soundtrack was outstanding. It opens with a Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young song that I could identify as them but couldn't seem to find the title. I Googled it about ten times but the song that kept coming back didn't seem right. So I called the one guy who I knew could figure out what I was looking for-my dad. I sang the part I liked from the movie and he said "oh you mean Judy Blue Eyes? The best seven and a half minutes in music?". Ladies and gentlemen, is it crystal clear where I got it?? So we talked about how awesome Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young are for awhile and then I went back to watching the movie.
Turns out I did know the song but I actually thought it was two different songs. The whole thing IS worth a listen but it's right around 6:35 that I was so obsessed with last night. Like so obsessed I want to put that minute on a loop and throw a dance party where that is all we play. Download #1.



So then there is a scene with Meryl Streep and Alec Baldwin having dinner that ends in laughing and dancing and there are several songs in a row that had me so excited. First it was this John Legend gem that I already own and have always loved. My favorite lyric is "love hurts sometimes when you do it right".



Then it was Joss Stone who I always forget I really like. This one is maybe a little more "wealthy white people falling in love in New York" then I normally love but there was something so danceable and happy about it, I pretty much HAD to download it. #2



I decided to finish the rest of the movie at that point and wait until the end to do some more searching. So the next thing I looked up was from that same scene and was by Raphael Saadiq. I knew his name but hadn't really ever listened to him. In a sort of odd twist of musical fate-I had downloaded some Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings earlier in the day (yep, I am an addict people) and he was on the "you might also like" section of the iTunes store. So I downloaded "Love That Girl" without even listening to a sample. #3



Does that voice sound sort of vaguely familiar to anyone else? I did my standard wikipedia search that I always do on new artist and OMG! Raphael Saadiq is actually Raphael Wiggins of Tony! Toni! Tone! He was lead vocals on this piece of R & B perfection from my youth...



So maybe I ended up picking up this, "Let's Get Down" and "Anniversary". I already own "It Never Rains (in Southern California)". I think I have mentioned before that I am a sucker for the other clips that run down the side of your You Tube selection and I got lost in about 30 minutes of New Edition. I actually thought I had this one already but I didn't. Now I do.



When I was sixteen and my parents let me paint my bedroom I listened almost exclusively to New Edition's Greatest Hits and "Homebase" by DJ Jazzy Jeff and Fresh Prince. A memory that made me realize I didn't own "Summertime" which *might* be one of the greatest summer songs of all time. So I bought that too. We are up to 8 at this point.

I went back for a little more Saadiq..



Which lead me to some Anthony Hamilton



And then I realized maybe I should go to bed when I got here a few hops later



Because I could probably actually drown under the weight of nostalgia for the gloriousness that was 1997-98. But just for good measure I downloaded this



Ah Toad the Wet Sprocket. Why didn't I already own this song?

And so that my friends is how I kill and evening AND part with about $15 without even trying.

5 comments:

cropstar said...

I can never buy just one song on itunes. When I get the email receipts I always think someone hacked my account and spent $20+ bucks until I look at what was purchased and realize it was all my own doing.
It's a pretty awesome addiction to have though, isn't it?

M.S. said...

Sounds just like me. I think my highest bill was about $40.00 in one sitting. Of course, it all started will buying one album then it led to a bunch of songs. Very addictive. What a fun blogging adventure!

Alicia said...

I'm fully obsessed with both Raphael Saadiq and Anthony Hamilton. If you have a chance to see Raphael live, you must go. It's that good and he does a Tony, Toni, Tone medly

Tai said...

Your dad is right, it is the best 7 1/2 minutes in music, but it's really not a Crosby Stills Nash and Young song. It was written by Stills and Crosby Stills and Nash was formed basically so they could sing that song in 3 part harmony. Young would sometimes join them on an album or tour, and Young did perform the song with them at Woodstock, but isn't on the recorded version of the song.

Just more hating on Neil Young, but what else would you expect from me.

H. Brown said...

this is incredible! i'm going to listen to all straight through right now while i have breakfast. i wasn't really allowed to listen to secular music when i was young, so i feel like you're filling in some major pop cultural gaps that i've been missing.